Re: [Micronet] Preferred Vendor/event online registration

Re: [Micronet] Preferred Vendor/event online registration

Richard DeShong-2

AJ,

Thank you for the info.  That’s the way we need to go for our upcoming event.

I am concerned about the pricing though.  This might be an example of where we privitized a function of our organization, and then we don't scrutinize the contract as well as we could.  If this is a ucop contract, then why is the credit card fee so high (4.95%)?

In the past, we've used Acteva.  This isn’t a system-wide account, just our small department, and their current credit card fee is 3.75%.  To see how RegOnline stacked up, I did a simple review our event last year:

Acteva.com costs:

$0100    Event Setup

$0063    21 $90 registrations at $2.99

$0233    62 $180 registrations at $3.75

$0198    44 $270 registrations at $4.49

$0016    3 $360 registrations at $5.25

$0975    CC fee at 3.75%

$1585    Total costs

If using the RegOnline service:

$0455    130 registrations at $3.50

$1287    CC fee at 4.95%

$1742    Total costs

The $3.50 reg fee would save use $155, but the 4.95% cc fee would cost us over $300 more.

--

Richard DeShong, Information Systems Analyst

Athletic Study Center, UC Berkeley

164 Chavez Student Center

510-642-5123 office

925-285-1088 cell

asc.berkeley.edu

From: aj craft   Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:03 PM
To: [hidden email]

Hi All,

After much searching, and finally submitting a variance request to use Eventbrite, we discovered there IS a UC Systemwide contract in place for event bookings. It is with The Active Network (TAN) who runs RegOnline as well as Thriva. RegOnline is UC Berkeley's preferred vendor for selling events  tickets online. We now plan to use RegOnline, due to lower costs and in the interest of getting our online registration live quickly. I wanted to share this information in hopes of saving someone else's time.

The RegOnline agreement is available at
http://www.ucop.edu/purchserv/psa_db/pubregisterindex.php?mode=1&id=376  Pasted below are details and pricing information we received from Kimberly Ray in Billing and Payment Services.

If you are looking for other vendors/services, check out UC Berkeley's Strategic Sourcing Program information. Part way down the page is a link to the UCOP Systemwide Agreements page.

Regards,

aj

AJ Craft

Web Project Manager

Center of Technology Innovation

Lawrence Hall of Science

On Mar 6, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Kimberly Ray wrote:

Darrell~

RegOnline has always been an option and we have had a relationship with them for many years…they are the preferred vendor for event registration needs on campus. <snip>  So as I reviewed your request for an exception to use Eventbrite my first question was why a decision was made to use them instead of RegOnline.  If it is just a matter of not being aware of this option, I suggest that you take a look at RegOnline first.  Not only do we have preferred system-wide pricing, but other benefits include:

1.      Contract is already in place and is managed by UCOP

2.      PCI:DSS for RegOnline and CyberSource is managed by UCOP

3.      UCB Central Campus (BPS) works directly with CyberSource and RegOnline to set up the interface and help troubleshoot problems

Here are additional details regarding RegOnline for your review:

RegOnline has all the functionality that you would need to design and maintain an online event registration system. You can view their demo at…

We have two options on how to set up merchant processing with RegOnline.  The first is using a UCB merchant account.  With this option, your department becomes a credit card merchant so it may take about 3-6 weeks to get the credit card functionality set up.  However, it only takes a day or so to get your RegOnline account set up so you can start designing your web site.  We normally only open merchant accounts for folks with a consistent need for credit card acceptance and processing…mainly due to costs, maintenance and data security risks associated with becoming a merchant.

Departments with a limited need or who do not want the responsibilities of becoming a credit card merchant, can use the RegOnline merchant account for processing.  It only takes a day or so to implement this process since we don’t need to order merchant accounts.

There are differences is the cost, data security requirements, maintenance, and responsibilities for each option. My recommendation is to do a analysis to find out which option is best for your specific program. Below is a brief comparison of each set up method…

UCB Merchant Account

RegOnline Merchant Account

RegOnline

Set up fee/timeframe

$100.00

4-6 weeks

$100.00

1-3 days

Ongoing fees

$0 per event +

$0 per event +

$3.50 per transaction.

$3.50 per transaction

N/A

4.95% of transaction amount for credit card processing

CybreSource's Hosted Order Page (HOP)

Set up fee

$100.00

N/A

Per transaction fee

$0.12 - 0.15

N/A

Merchant Account:  Bank processing fee

VISA, MC, Discover

2.00% average

N/A

AMEX

2.40% average

N/A

PCI Data Security Standards

$50.00/annual

N/A

Other Departmental Responsibilities:

Reconciliation

Dailyreconciliation between sales information in RegOnline and CyberSource and ledger accounts

Monthly fee reconciliation

Monthlyreconciliation between RegOnline check payment and RegOnline sales data

Campus Deposit System (CDS) entries

Prepare dailyCDS deposit

Prepare monthlyCDS deposit of check from RegOnline

Chargeback/Retrieval

 Yes

Limited

I will wait to submit your request for a variance approval until I hear back from you on which option you prefer to use.  In the meantime, please let me know if you have questions.

Kim

Kimberly Ray

Departmental Services Manager, Billing and Payment Services

Controller's Office

University of California, Berkeley

140 University Hall, #1111

Berkeley, CA 94720-1111

Phone: 510-642-3504

Fax: 510-643-5162

Email: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] [Webnet] Preferred Vendor/event online registration

aj craft
<base href="x-msg://535/">Hi Richard,
We are going to use the "UCB Merchant account" option since the pricing, even with the $100 CyberSource set-up fee and annual Trustkeeper fee, will be less given our anticipated volume.

It looks like you may have missed adding the $100 RegOnline set-up fee to your total costs. Regardless, I'm glad you provided actual data and copied Kimberly Ray---she is best suited to answer your good questions.
aj

From: aj craft   Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:03 PM
To: [hidden email]

-
Webnet information is available at http://webnet.berkeley.edu. Email sent to this list is archived at http://ls.berkeley.edu/mail/webnet/ . This archive is open to the general public and browsable by search engine spiders, email-address harvesting robots, your bosses, etc.