Re: [Micronet] Productivity Suite Funding Model

Re: [Micronet] Productivity Suite Funding Model

Greg Merritt
On Feb 9, 2012, at 6:11 PM, OEPO, Operational Excellence Program Office wrote:

> in an effort to streamline the funding process, costs associated with the IT Productivity Suite will be charged at the Division level only (Deans and Vice Chancellors). By choosing not to charge these costs at the individual department level, we expect to avoid thousands of hours of transaction processing.

Can we correctly assume that in no cases will a Dean or Vice Chancellor ever recover costs by recharging departments?

If that happened, it could introduce thousands of hours of transaction processing.

Re: [Micronet] Productivity Suite Funding Model

Shelton Waggener
Greg,
Correct, the model calls for the costs to be carried at the VC and Dean level.

Shel

On Feb 9, 2012, at 6:37 PM, Greg Merritt wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2012, at 6:11 PM, OEPO, Operational Excellence Program Office wrote:
>
>> in an effort to streamline the funding process, costs associated with the IT Productivity Suite will be charged at the Division level only (Deans and Vice Chancellors). By choosing not to charge these costs at the individual department level, we expect to avoid thousands of hours of transaction processing.
>

> Can we correctly assume that in no cases will a Dean or Vice Chancellor ever recover costs by recharging departments?
>
> If that happened, it could introduce thousands of hours of transaction processing.
>
> -Greg

Re: [Micronet] Productivity Suite Funding Model

Liz Marsh
Hi Greg--
Thanks for asking the question. One of the principles of the Productivity
Suite Funding Model is simplicity. The recharge model is complicated and
burdensome to units. Therefore, the objective is to avoid a recharge
process. Because there is no marginal cost associated with use in this
case, the campus can be fairly confident about a one-time, annual charge
per headcount, paid for at the Dean, Divisional or VC level. The new model
will be reviewed regularly to insure it is working as expected.

If people have additional questions about the model, you can also send
them to [hidden email].

Thanks,

Liz

On Thu, February 9, 2012 6:37 pm, Greg Merritt wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2012, at 6:11 PM, OEPO, Operational Excellence Program Office
> wrote:
>
>> in an effort to streamline the funding process, costs associated with
>> the IT Productivity Suite will be charged at the Division level only
>> (Deans and Vice Chancellors). By choosing not to charge these costs at
>> the individual department level, we expect to avoid thousands of hours
>> of transaction processing.
>

> Can we correctly assume that in no cases will a Dean or Vice Chancellor
> ever recover costs by recharging departments?
>
> If that happened, it could introduce thousands of hours of transaction
> processing.
>
> -Greg

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Liz

Re: [Micronet] Productivity Suite Funding Model

Tom Holub
On 2/9/12 10:22 PM, Liz Marsh wrote:
> Hi Greg--
> Thanks for asking the question. One of the principles of the Productivity
> Suite Funding Model is simplicity. The recharge model is complicated and
> burdensome to units. Therefore, the objective is to avoid a recharge
> process. Because there is no marginal cost associated with use in this
> case, the campus can be fairly confident about a one-time, annual charge
> per headcount, paid for at the Dean, Divisional or VC level. The new model
> will be reviewed regularly to insure it is working as expected.

I think Greg's concern (which I share) is that some Deans will not be
willing to pick up the cost for their departments, and thus by charging
at the level of the Deans you're merely pushing the problem of
recharging down a level.  The L&S Deans were not paying for productivity
software or CalAgenda accounts for their departments previously, and I
think it's safe to assume they won't want to pay for them in the new
model, either.

--
Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science

Re: [Micronet] Productivity Suite Funding Model

Liz Marsh
Tom--
In fact this plan has been shared with, and enthusiastically approved by,
the Council of Deans. Based on that approval our expectation is that these
costs will be covered at the Dean and VC level and not passed further down
into the organization.

Liz

On Thu, February 9, 2012 11:57 pm, Tom Holub wrote:

> On 2/9/12 10:22 PM, Liz Marsh wrote:
>> Hi Greg--
>> Thanks for asking the question. One of the principles of the
>> Productivity
>> Suite Funding Model is simplicity. The recharge model is complicated and
>> burdensome to units. Therefore, the objective is to avoid a recharge
>> process. Because there is no marginal cost associated with use in this
>> case, the campus can be fairly confident about a one-time, annual charge
>> per headcount, paid for at the Dean, Divisional or VC level. The new
>> model
>> will be reviewed regularly to insure it is working as expected.
>
> I think Greg's concern (which I share) is that some Deans will not be
> willing to pick up the cost for their departments, and thus by charging
> at the level of the Deans you're merely pushing the problem of
> recharging down a level.  The L&S Deans were not paying for productivity
> software or CalAgenda accounts for their departments previously, and I
> think it's safe to assume they won't want to pay for them in the new
> model, either.
>
> --
> Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
> Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
> 101.D Durant Hall
> <http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Liz

Re: [Micronet] Productivity Suite Funding Model

Guy D. VINSON
The best analogy I can think of  is seeing the Deans and VC as a dam on a river... all of a sudden you have all this free/cheap electrical power but you may end up with a lot less water down stream. There are no free lunches folks... someone is going to be paying for all this software and I doubt it is going to be coming out of the paychecks of anyone upstream.
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Liz Marsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tom--
In fact this plan has been shared with, and enthusiastically approved by,
the Council of Deans. Based on that approval our expectation is that these
costs will be covered at the Dean and VC level and not passed further down
into the organization.

Liz

On Thu, February 9, 2012 11:57 pm, Tom Holub wrote:
> On 2/9/12 10:22 PM, Liz Marsh wrote:
>> Hi Greg--
>> Thanks for asking the question. One of the principles of the
>> Productivity
>> Suite Funding Model is simplicity. The recharge model is complicated and
>> burdensome to units. Therefore, the objective is to avoid a recharge
>> process. Because there is no marginal cost associated with use in this
>> case, the campus can be fairly confident about a one-time, annual charge
>> per headcount, paid for at the Dean, Divisional or VC level. The new
>> model
>> will be reviewed regularly to insure it is working as expected.
>
> I think Greg's concern (which I share) is that some Deans will not be
> willing to pick up the cost for their departments, and thus by charging
> at the level of the Deans you're merely pushing the problem of
> recharging down a level.  The L&S Deans were not paying for productivity
> software or CalAgenda accounts for their departments previously, and I
> think it's safe to assume they won't want to pay for them in the new
> model, either.
>
> --
> Tom Holub ([hidden email], <a href="tel:510-642-9069" value="+15106429069">510-642-9069)
> Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
> 101.D Durant Hall
> <http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Liz

[Micronet] Something less serious to think about for Friday afternoon

Bruce Satow
Why is it when you google search for 241543903 that it comes up with photos of people sticking their heads in freezers?

--
Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley

"If you have no idea how busy the IT dept is - then yes, you are quite ignorant"

Re: [Micronet] Something less serious to think about for Friday afternoon

Robert Hiramoto
Hi everyone:

~Robert

**************************************
Robert Hiramoto
IT Manager
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE)
University of California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way #5555
Berkeley, CA 94720-5555

Phone:  <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-3903" value="+15106433903" target="_blank">(510) 643-3903
Fax:  <a href="tel:%28510%29%20642-6432" value="+15106426432" target="_blank">(510) 642-6432

IRLE IT Help Line - (510) 642-0077

On Feb 10, 2012, at 4:09 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

Why is it when you google search for 241543903 that it comes up with photos of people sticking their heads in freezers?

--
Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450

"If you have no idea how busy the IT dept is - then yes, you are quite ignorant"

Re: [Micronet] Something less serious to think about for Friday afternoon

Ingrid Berg
And for all the math geeks out there... google this and get some love

sqrt(cos(x))*cos(300x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7)*(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(6-x^2), -sqrt(6-x^2) from -4.5 to 4.5

--
ingrid berg

ingrid berg
media designer
uc berkeley school of public health
417.g university hall no.7360
berkeley ca 94720
510.642.9185
[hidden email]
http://sph.berkeley.edu

Support The Campaign for the School of Public Health: http://givetocal.berkeley.edu/publichealth

Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/berkeleyhealth

Re: [Micronet] Something less serious to think about for Friday afternoon

Bruce Satow
That's cool!

On 2/10/2012 4:11 PM, Robert Hiramoto wrote:
Hi everyone:

~Robert

**************************************
Robert Hiramoto
IT Manager
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE)
University of California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way #5555
Berkeley, CA 94720-5555

Phone:  <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%28510%29%20643-3903" value="+15106433903" target="_blank">(510) 643-3903
Fax:  <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%28510%29%20642-6432" value="+15106426432" target="_blank">(510) 642-6432

IRLE IT Help Line - (510) 642-0077

On Feb 10, 2012, at 4:09 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

Why is it when you google search for 241543903 that it comes up with photos of people sticking their heads in freezers?

--
Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450

"If you have no idea how busy the IT dept is - then yes, you are quite ignorant"

Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450

"If you have no idea how busy the IT dept is - then yes, you are quite ignorant"

Re: [Micronet] Something less serious to think about for Friday afternoon

Lucy Greco-2

Interesting but that was the least accessible web page I have seen in two years. The worst thing about it is that it pretended  to be accessible. There was lots of ARIA  but badly used. I must have herd article region start at least 15 times and it was always followed by the article region end. So wear was the article region but off on its own not at all connected to the article region at all. Man the web sucks.

Lucy Greco

Assistive Technology Specialist

Disabled Student's Program UC Berkeley

(510) 643-7591