Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop to Windows 7 from a Mac

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop to Windows 7 from a Mac

Jon Johnsen
Robert,

Worked like a charm.

Such an intuitive key combo!  ;-)

Thank you very much.

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357

On 3/21/2011 12:29 PM, Robert Hiramoto wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> Can the user attempt a "force Quit"?
>
> This is similar to doing a task manager kill process on a windows machine.
>
> To do this on a mac, they can do the key combo "Option-Shift-Command-Esc
> (hold for three seconds) - Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6 or later only"
>
> More info is here:
>
> http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343
>
> ~Robert
> Robert Hiramoto
> IT Manager
> Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE)
> University of California, Berkeley
> 2521 Channing Way #5555
> Berkeley, CA 94720-5555
>
> Phone:  (510) 643-3903
> Fax:  (510) 642-6432
>

> Office Hours:
> Monday - Friday:  8:00 am to 4:00 pm
>

> On 3/21/11 12:25 PM, "Jon Johnsen"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> We have a user who was connected to his Windows 7 desktop computer from
>> his MacBook Air using Remote Desktop.
>>
>> But he apparently lost the connection and the MacBook Air is hung on
>> trying to restore the connection.
>>
>> He cannot find a way to stop that process or shut down the laptop.
>> Neither can we.
>>
>> We don't support Macs here, and have no experience with a problem like
>> this one.
>>
>> We are open to suggestions.
>>
>> --
>> Jon Johnsen
>> Information Systems Office
>> 433 University Hall
>> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
>> 510 643-4357

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop to Windows 7 from a Mac

Penny Bertrang
kinda like Ctrl-Alt-Delete only longer.

On 3/21/2011 12:35 PM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
[...]

ILS unit, Library Systems Office
289 Doe Library
UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
510.642.5809

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop to Windows 7 from a Mac

Ian Crew
Actually, to force quit a program on the mac, you just need to press Option-Command-Escape (no Shift necessary), or choose "Force Quit" from the Apple menu.

Sometimes this doesn't work if the program you're in is frozen, so you then just have to switch to a non-frozen program (via command-tab, clicking on another program in the dock, or clicking on the desktop) and do it there.  You then get a dialog, similar to what you see in windows, allowing you to select the program you want to force to quit.

Ian

On Mar 22, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Penny Bertrang wrote:

[...]

Information Services and Technology-Data Services
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop to Windows 7 from a Mac

Alfred Alipio Jocson
One more way to force quit in Mac OS X: Right-click (or Command key on
keyboard-click on the hung application. Force quit will be one of the
options.

If the application is not hung up, regular Quit will be the displayed
option.

--Alfred
Alfred Alipio-Jocson, Equal Employment Opportunity Representative
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY
Human Resources - Staff EEO Compliance
2150 Shattuck Ave, Room 750 #3540 - Berkeley, CA 94704-3540
voice: 510-642-5002___fax: 510-642-2888___________________________

On 11:59 AM, Ian Crew wrote:

> Actually, to force quit a program on the mac, you just need to press
> Option-Command-Escape (no Shift necessary), or choose "Force Quit" from
> the Apple menu.
>
> Sometimes this doesn't work if the program you're in is frozen, so you
> then just have to switch to a non-frozen program (via command-tab,
> clicking on another program in the dock, or clicking on the desktop) and
> do it there. You then get a dialog, similar to what you see in windows,
> allowing you to select the program you want to force to quit.
>
> Ian
>
> On Mar 22, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Penny Bertrang wrote:
>
>> kinda like Ctrl-Alt-Delete only longer.
>>
>> On 3/21/2011 12:35 PM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> Worked like a charm.
>>>
>>> Such an intuitive key combo!  ;-)
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>>
>>> Jon Johnsen
>>> Information Systems Office
>>> 433 University Hall
>>> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
>>> 510 643-4357

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>>

>> --
>> Penny Bertrang
>> ILS unit, Library Systems Office
>> 289 Doe Library
>> UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720
>> 510.642.5809
>> [hidden email]

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>
> Ian Crew
> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
> Information Services and Technology-Data Services
> University of California, Berkeley
> 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
> http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Remote Desktop to Windows 7 from a Mac

Michael Rimar
...that's likely meant to be "Control key on keyboard click...".