Re: [Micronet] new micronet charter

tedcrum
Micronet is an organization (professional if has membership criteria
and a code of conduct), and also a mailing list.

The mailing list (all mailing lists, IMHO) should have its own
charter: In days past, the list server mechanism on campus
implemented a description for each list; this is no longer being done.

According to the CalMail page, I still belong to a number of lists
whose names are not descriptive of when and why they were formed. A
"purpose" statement would help.

Ted Crum
R&D Engineer, Retired

Re: [Micronet] new micronet charter

tedcrum
I think it's the security mailing list that is restricted.

Even the micronet archives are publicly readable.

See the automatic notice at the bottom of every posting.

tc

At 05:26 PM 2/3/2015, you wrote:

>As a former coordinator, I recall that the Micronet mailing list was
>intended to be limited to campus personnel for certain security reasons.
>
>Former coordinator Sinatra was the source of this (I hope) correct
>information.
>
>Jon Johnsen
>Richmond, CA
>
>On 2/3/2015 5:11 PM, Ted Crum wrote:
>>
>>Micronet is an organization (professional if has membership criteria
>>and a code of conduct), and also a mailing list.
>>
>>The mailing list (all mailing lists, IMHO) should have its own
>>charter: In days past, the list server mechanism on campus
>>implemented a description for each list; this is no longer being done.
>>
>>According to the CalMail page, I still belong to a number of lists
>>whose names are not descriptive of when and why they were formed. A
>>"purpose" statement would help.
>>

>>Ted Crum
>>R&D Engineer, Retired

>>upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>><http://micronet.berkeley.edu>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] new micronet charter

Vivian Sophia
Ted, We aren't going to have separate statements for the organization and the list, as they are integral to one another: the list is the mechanism that the organization uses to communicate, the organization is the meat-space expression of the list. It's ALL part of the official campus community of practice for IT folks.

Vivian Sophia
Berkeley IT (CSS)
Business/Tech Support Analyst
University of California, Berkeley
310B Durant Hall
(510) 541-6120

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Ted Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Micronet is an organization (professional if has membership criteria
and a code of conduct), and also a mailing list.

The mailing list (all mailing lists, IMHO) should have its own
charter: In days past, the list server mechanism on campus
implemented a description for each list; this is no longer being done.

According to the CalMail page, I still belong to a number of lists
whose names are not descriptive of when and why they were formed. A
"purpose" statement would help.

Ted Crum
R&D Engineer, Retired

Re: [Micronet] new micronet charter

Michael Sinatra-3
Correct, it's the ucb-security list, which I had restricted to UCB and
LBL people.  I don't know what the policy of SNS^H^H^HISP is, as they
now own the list.  Also note that LBL staff (including myself) have the
ability to be UCB affiliates, which gives us a UCB email address.  So it
probably makes sense to restrict ucb-security to UCB and LBL staff and
keep Micronet open.  But that's just my opinion and Coordinator Johnsen
and others may have other ideas.

michael (aka Coordinator Sinatra)

Note to Vivian (aka Coordinator Sophia): The title of Micronet
Coordinator is something that you don't lose after you stop being
Coordinator, sort of like Dean or President.  It's one of the many perks
of being Micronet Coordinator.

On 2/3/15 8:21 PM, Ted Crum wrote:

> I think it's the security mailing list that is restricted.
>
> Even the micronet archives are publicly readable.
>
> See the automatic notice at the bottom of every posting.
>
> tc
>
> At 05:26 PM 2/3/2015, you wrote:
>> As a former coordinator, I recall that the Micronet mailing list was
>> intended to be limited to campus personnel for certain security reasons.
>>
>> Former coordinator Sinatra was the source of this (I hope) correct
>> information.
>>
>> Jon Johnsen
>> Richmond, CA
>>
>> On 2/3/2015 5:11 PM, Ted Crum wrote:
>>>
>>> Micronet is an organization (professional if has membership criteria
>>> and a code of conduct), and also a mailing list.
>>>
>>> The mailing list (all mailing lists, IMHO) should have its own
>>> charter: In days past, the list server mechanism on campus
>>> implemented a description for each list; this is no longer being done.
>>>
>>> According to the CalMail page, I still belong to a number of lists
>>> whose names are not descriptive of when and why they were formed. A
>>> "purpose" statement would help.
>>>

>>> Ted Crum
>>> R&D Engineer, Retired

>>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> <http://micronet.berkeley.edu>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>>> known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] new micronet charter

Allison Henry

FYI policies for the UCB-Security list are documented here:

        https://security.berkeley.edu/ucb-security

We encourage all meeting the eligibility requirements to subscribe.
Thanks,

- --
Allison Henry
Security Operations Manager
Information Security and Policy
University of California, Berkeley
http://security.berkeley.edu

On 2/4/15 9:53 AM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> Correct, it's the ucb-security list, which I had restricted to UCB
> and LBL people.  I don't know what the policy of SNS^H^H^HISP is,
> as they now own the list.  Also note that LBL staff (including
> myself) have the ability to be UCB affiliates, which gives us a UCB
> email address.  So it probably makes sense to restrict ucb-security
> to UCB and LBL staff and keep Micronet open.  But that's just my
> opinion and Coordinator Johnsen and others may have other ideas.
>
> michael (aka Coordinator Sinatra)
>
> Note to Vivian (aka Coordinator Sophia): The title of Micronet
> Coordinator is something that you don't lose after you stop being
> Coordinator, sort of like Dean or President.  It's one of the many
> perks of being Micronet Coordinator.
>
> On 2/3/15 8:21 PM, Ted Crum wrote:
>> I think it's the security mailing list that is restricted.
>>
>> Even the micronet archives are publicly readable.
>>
>> See the automatic notice at the bottom of every posting.
>>
>> tc
>>
>> At 05:26 PM 2/3/2015, you wrote:
>>> As a former coordinator, I recall that the Micronet mailing
>>> list was intended to be limited to campus personnel for certain
>>> security reasons.
>>>
>>> Former coordinator Sinatra was the source of this (I hope)
>>> correct information.
>>>
>>> Jon Johnsen Richmond, CA

>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>> searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>> viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and
>> people who have known you in the past.

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] new micronet charter

paul rivers

UCB Security list information: