Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

gobearsonthree123
On 7/20/2011 4:29 PM, Bill Allison wrote:
> Hi Jon,

> This proposal is live, and was approved by OE. The project has not
formally begun, but they have a date for the formal kick-off of the
project at the end of July (effectively an August start).

> The issues you raised are in play, and there are plans for
> significant
campus input and outreach when this starts. Avoiding issues including
the "No docs for you!" problem of online only editing tools is obviously
a requirement the team has identified.
<snip>

On 8/19/2011 6:01 PM, Shell Waggener wrote:
> We are pleased to announce a pilot program that provides Adobe software to all campus
> faculty, staff, and students at no cost to individuals or departments for the 2011-2012
> fiscal year. Students will have the ability to download the Adobe Creative Suite Design
> Premium edition while faculty and staff will be able to install the full Adobe Creative
> Suite Master Collection. Both suites include Acrobat X Professional. This program is part
> of the Operational Excellence-sponsored Productivity Suite (PS) project, which advances
> the OE goal of reducing complexity by alleviating the departmental administrative burden
> of researching, purchasing, updating, and distributing licenses for the most commonly
> used software and tools. Eliminating individual purchases lowers administrative costs and
> enables the campus to achieve significantly larger discounts than are traditionally
> available to campuses.
<snip>

Missed the "significant campus input and outreach when this starts."

Just a jump to announcing something is already all signed, sealed + delivered.

In Calagenda see many meetings for key IST staff about Adobe and Microsoft Live 365 in past two to four weeks.

Will we just see a similar announcement for Microsoft Live 365 soon?

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

Greg Merritt
I noticed this bit in Shel's Adobe announcement:

"Starting FY 2012-13, cost recovery for faculty and staff will be achieved through a new funding model that is under development by a team in the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Administration and Finance."

I read (into) this as "next year, you'll be billed for it."  Kind of reminds me of the network funding model that's been trying to get itself figured out in fits & starts over the last year or two..."common good" and all that.

Regardless, it'll be nice to have Acrobat everywhere!

-Greg

On Aug 20, 2011, at 1:00 PM, gobearsonthree123 wrote:

> On 7/20/2011 4:29 PM, Bill Allison wrote:
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > This proposal is live, and was approved by OE. The project has not
> formally begun, but they have a date for the formal kick-off of the
> project at the end of July (effectively an August start).
> >
> > The issues you raised are in play, and there are plans for
> > significant
> campus input and outreach when this starts. Avoiding issues including
> the "No docs for you!" problem of online only editing tools is obviously
> a requirement the team has identified.
> >
> <snip>
>
> On 8/19/2011 6:01 PM, Shell Waggener wrote:
> > We are pleased to announce a pilot program that provides Adobe software to all campus
> > faculty, staff, and students at no cost to individuals or departments for the 2011-2012
> > fiscal year. Students will have the ability to download the Adobe Creative Suite Design
> > Premium edition while faculty and staff will be able to install the full Adobe Creative
> > Suite Master Collection. Both suites include Acrobat X Professional. This program is part
> > of the Operational Excellence-sponsored Productivity Suite (PS) project, which advances
> > the OE goal of reducing complexity by alleviating the departmental administrative burden
> > of researching, purchasing, updating, and distributing licenses for the most commonly
> > used software and tools. Eliminating individual purchases lowers administrative costs and
> > enables the campus to achieve significantly larger discounts than are traditionally
> > available to campuses.
> <snip>
>

> Missed the "significant campus input and outreach when this starts."
>
> Just a jump to announcing something is already all signed, sealed + delivered.
>
> In Calagenda see many meetings for key IST staff about Adobe and Microsoft Live 365 in past two to four weeks.
>
> Will we just see a similar announcement for Microsoft Live 365 soon?

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

tedcrum
We're pretty happy with what we have now. Buy the license from SHI,
etc, very cheaply, for just the users who need it, then use the
product until you're tired of it. No recurring charges. No bill from
the chancellor.

Anything that breaks that model would be bad for our department. The
last thing we need (and the first thing that any software seller
wants) is a subscription system.

Some salesman got a big bonus on this, like the guy who almost got
away with selling the State an Oracle seat for every single state
employee. And some OE consultant who is already looking for his next
gig was happy to oblige.

-Ted Crum

At 09:50 AM 8/22/2011, you wrote:

> [...]
> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
> >
> > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> >
> > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

Devil's advocate here...

I heard at some campus meeting in the last year or so that the hidden costs of the processing of one bluCard transaction is something like $140.

There would undoubtedly be effort savings for departments who no longer have to process ongoing, multiple purchases of these titles.

I suppose that whether a particular unit has a net gain or loss under a particular new model may vary a lot, and may not be casually obvious.

-Greg

On Aug 22, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Ted Crum wrote:

> [...]
>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>> known you in the past.

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>> known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

Burke Bundy
I believe I have it somewhere in my notes that the estimated cost to the
campus to process a reimbursement request was $130/transaction and to
process a Blu card transaction was closer to $40/transaction.  Of course
I'm happy to be corrected.

Presumably, both of these costs can/will come down.

Burke

> [...]
>>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>>> known you in the past.

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

jon kuroda-2
I don't know who <gobearsonthree123> is, but he or she is really
stealing my thunder here.  That maybe my biggest gripe.</snark>

Others, Greg Merritt, Ted Crum, Burke Bundy, have already talked
about the possible end results: mostly positive, though for whom
they're positive remains to be seen.  I am sure that both Campus
and vendors can both come out winners - and when I say "Campus",
I mean everyone on Campus.

I think ultimately this deal will be a good thing (tm), but it's
hard for me to tell without data which is my only real complaint
about any of this:

        Lack of Transparency into the Decision Making Process

I consider Lack of Transparency to be Anti-OE, especially in any
public institution, such as UC Berkeley.

I can appreciate that there may have been reasons that this deal
had to happen so fast that there was no time to get campus input
on this as it was being negotiated.

        I don't know what those reasons are.

I'd love to know what they are.  Was Adobe averse to the sort of
feedback that occurred on Micronet with the Matlab TAH proposal?

Yes, it may be a bit of a ridiculous idea, but inform us or else
our imaginations run a little wilder than usual.

I have seen no data to support the conclusion that this will be
more operationally efficient versus just buying it directly via
SHI as we currently do.  No mention of data or estimates of how
many people use these products (legitimately or not).  I'm sure
that information is somehow available from BFS/friends somehow,
but not to me.

In short, show me the back of the envelope calculation.  Put it
out in a well known location.  Don't bury it behind "Oh, e-mail
us and we'll run numbers for your department."

What is the effective per-head cost?  What quantity of licenses
over how many purchases/reimbursements were made?  What was the
criteria for determining if:

        (cost of current system) - (cost of new system)

was large enough to merit making this decision?  I imagine that
it was "large enough" - but what were the numbers?  What is the
(predicted) difference in cost?

If these sound familiar, these are very much the same questions
I asked when the idea was tossed around on Micronet about going
to Mathworks Total Academic Headcount licensing model.

No data means no means to evaluate.

No data ahead of time means no ability to provide meaningful or
useful input - only ex post facto feedback on a done deal that,
as <gobearsonthree123> says:

        "is already signed, sealed [and] delivered".

I do not consider either of these Operaionally Excellent.

--Jon

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 01:00:06PM -0700, gobearsonthree123 wrote:

> On 7/20/2011 4:29 PM, Bill Allison wrote:
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > This proposal is live, and was approved by OE. The project has not
> formally begun, but they have a date for the formal kick-off of the
> project at the end of July (effectively an August start).
> >
> > The issues you raised are in play, and there are plans for
> > significant
> campus input and outreach when this starts. Avoiding issues including
> the "No docs for you!" problem of online only editing tools is obviously
> a requirement the team has identified.
> >
> <snip>
>
> On 8/19/2011 6:01 PM, Shell Waggener wrote:
> > We are pleased to announce a pilot program that provides Adobe software to
> all campus
> > faculty, staff, and students at no cost to individuals or departments for
> the 2011-2012
> > fiscal year. Students will have the ability to download the Adobe Creative
> Suite Design
> > Premium edition while faculty and staff will be able to install the full
> Adobe Creative
> > Suite Master Collection. Both suites include Acrobat X Professional. This
> program is part
> > of the Operational Excellence-sponsored Productivity Suite (PS) project,
> which advances
> > the OE goal of reducing complexity by alleviating the departmental
> administrative burden
> > of researching, purchasing, updating, and distributing licenses for the
> most commonly
> > used software and tools. Eliminating individual purchases lowers
> administrative costs and
> > enables the campus to achieve significantly larger discounts than are
> traditionally
> > available to campuses.
> <snip>
>

> Missed the "significant campus input and outreach when this starts."
>
> Just a jump to announcing something is already all signed, sealed +
> delivered.
>
> In Calagenda see many meetings for key IST staff about Adobe and Microsoft
> Live 365 in past two to four weeks.
>
> Will we just see a similar announcement for Microsoft Live 365 soon?

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

Aaron DuBois
Can anyone provide me a link to details about this part of OE?
I do not have the original email that was sniped in the Re to micro-net.

 From what i can tell on the back and forth, are we talking about a
model where faculty and staff can download and install software at will
and the department will be billed directly at a later time?

On 8/20/2011 1:00 PM, gobearsonthree123 wrote:

> On 7/20/2011 4:29 PM, Bill Allison wrote:
>>  Hi Jon,
>>
>>  This proposal is live, and was approved by OE. The project has not
> formally begun, but they have a date for the formal kick-off of the
> project at the end of July (effectively an August start).
>>
>>  The issues you raised are in play, and there are plans for
>>  significant
> campus input and outreach when this starts. Avoiding issues including
> the "No docs for you!" problem of online only editing tools is obviously
> a requirement the team has identified.
>>
> <snip>
>
> On 8/19/2011 6:01 PM, Shell Waggener wrote:
>>  We are pleased to announce a pilot program that provides Adobe
> software to all campus
>>  faculty, staff, and students at no cost to individuals or departments
> for the 2011-2012
>>  fiscal year. Students will have the ability to download the Adobe
> Creative Suite Design
>>  Premium edition while faculty and staff will be able to install the
> full Adobe Creative
>>  Suite Master Collection. Both suites include Acrobat X Professional.
> This program is part
>>  of the Operational Excellence-sponsored Productivity Suite (PS)
> project, which advances
>>  the OE goal of reducing complexity by alleviating the departmental
> administrative burden
>>  of researching, purchasing, updating, and distributing licenses for
> the most commonly
>>  used software and tools. Eliminating individual purchases lowers
> administrative costs and
>>  enables the campus to achieve significantly larger discounts than are
> traditionally
>>  available to campuses.
> <snip>
>

> Missed the "significant campus input and outreach when this starts."
>
> Just a jump to announcing something is already all signed, sealed +
> delivered.
>
> In Calagenda see many meetings for key IST staff about Adobe and
> Microsoft Live 365 in past two to four weeks.
>
> Will we just see a similar announcement for Microsoft Live 365 soon?

Aaron DuBois
Sociology Tech
489 Barrows Hall
Mon-Thur 10:30am-5:00pm
Fri 8:30-am-3pm
510-643-9389
Department Web Master
Department IST Security Officer
Department Equipment Custodian
CalNet Deputy

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

Gabriel Gonzalez
The reports referenced can be found here:

http://oe.berkeley.edu/process/design/reports.shtml

in the 'Information Technology Initiative' section

Thanks,
Gabriel

On 8/22/2011 2:00 PM, Aaron DuBois wrote:

> Can anyone provide me a link to details about this part of OE?
> I do not have the original email that was sniped in the Re to micro-net.
>
>   From what i can tell on the back and forth, are we talking about a
> model where faculty and staff can download and install software at will
> and the department will be billed directly at a later time?
>

> On 8/20/2011 1:00 PM, gobearsonthree123 wrote:
>> On 7/20/2011 4:29 PM, Bill Allison wrote:
>>>   Hi Jon,
>>>
>>>   This proposal is live, and was approved by OE. The project has not
>> formally begun, but they have a date for the formal kick-off of the
>> project at the end of July (effectively an August start).
>>>
>>>   The issues you raised are in play, and there are plans for
>>>   significant
>> campus input and outreach when this starts. Avoiding issues including
>> the "No docs for you!" problem of online only editing tools is obviously
>> a requirement the team has identified.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> On 8/19/2011 6:01 PM, Shell Waggener wrote:
>>>   We are pleased to announce a pilot program that provides Adobe
>> software to all campus
>>>   faculty, staff, and students at no cost to individuals or departments
>> for the 2011-2012
>>>   fiscal year. Students will have the ability to download the Adobe
>> Creative Suite Design
>>>   Premium edition while faculty and staff will be able to install the
>> full Adobe Creative
>>>   Suite Master Collection. Both suites include Acrobat X Professional.
>> This program is part
>>>   of the Operational Excellence-sponsored Productivity Suite (PS)
>> project, which advances
>>>   the OE goal of reducing complexity by alleviating the departmental
>> administrative burden
>>>   of researching, purchasing, updating, and distributing licenses for
>> the most commonly
>>>   used software and tools. Eliminating individual purchases lowers
>> administrative costs and
>>>   enables the campus to achieve significantly larger discounts than are
>> traditionally
>>>   available to campuses.
>> <snip>
>>

>> Missed the "significant campus input and outreach when this starts."
>>
>> Just a jump to announcing something is already all signed, sealed +
>> delivered.
>>
>> In Calagenda see many meetings for key IST staff about Adobe and
>> Microsoft Live 365 in past two to four weeks.
>>
>> Will we just see a similar announcement for Microsoft Live 365 soon?

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

Working on the "teach a man to fish" theory:

        http://micronet-at-uc-berkeley.840177.n3.nabble.com/

        https://calmessages.berkeley.edu/archive/one_campus_owner/10260?year=2011

Ian

On Aug 22, 2011, at 2:00 PM, Aaron DuBois wrote:

> Can anyone provide me a link to details about this part of OE?
> I do not have the original email that was sniped in the Re to micro-net.
>
> From what i can tell on the back and forth, are we talking about a
> model where faculty and staff can download and install software at will
> and the department will be billed directly at a later time?
>

> On 8/20/2011 1:00 PM, gobearsonthree123 wrote:
>> On 7/20/2011 4:29 PM, Bill Allison wrote:
>>> Hi Jon,
>>>
>>> This proposal is live, and was approved by OE. The project has not
>> formally begun, but they have a date for the formal kick-off of the
>> project at the end of July (effectively an August start).
>>>
>>> The issues you raised are in play, and there are plans for
>>> significant
>> campus input and outreach when this starts. Avoiding issues including
>> the "No docs for you!" problem of online only editing tools is obviously
>> a requirement the team has identified.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> On 8/19/2011 6:01 PM, Shell Waggener wrote:
>>> We are pleased to announce a pilot program that provides Adobe
>> software to all campus
>>> faculty, staff, and students at no cost to individuals or departments
>> for the 2011-2012
>>> fiscal year. Students will have the ability to download the Adobe
>> Creative Suite Design
>>> Premium edition while faculty and staff will be able to install the
>> full Adobe Creative
>>> Suite Master Collection. Both suites include Acrobat X Professional.
>> This program is part
>>> of the Operational Excellence-sponsored Productivity Suite (PS)
>> project, which advances
>>> the OE goal of reducing complexity by alleviating the departmental
>> administrative burden
>>> of researching, purchasing, updating, and distributing licenses for
>> the most commonly
>>> used software and tools. Eliminating individual purchases lowers
>> administrative costs and
>>> enables the campus to achieve significantly larger discounts than are
>> traditionally
>>> available to campuses.
>> <snip>
>>

>> Missed the "significant campus input and outreach when this starts."
>>
>> Just a jump to announcing something is already all signed, sealed +
>> delivered.
>>
>> In Calagenda see many meetings for key IST staff about Adobe and
>> Microsoft Live 365 in past two to four weeks.
>>
>> Will we just see a similar announcement for Microsoft Live 365 soon?

> Aaron DuBois
> Sociology Tech
> 489 Barrows Hall
> Mon-Thur 10:30am-5:00pm
> Fri 8:30-am-3pm
> 510-643-9389
> Department Web Master
> Department IST Security Officer
> Department Equipment Custodian
> CalNet Deputy

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

Aaron DuBois
Thanks for the links (both of you), at about 3pm my dept. got the
spammed mail that i was not yet in the loop on.

So after looking this stuff over my big questions are(which i think we
have no answers to yet):

1: Is this a leased software package, like SPSS(sure sounds like it)?

2: If we install the "free" software now, and it is a leased package,
are users going to be flagged the first time they turn on the software
after the start of FY12-13 for an auto-bill of a yet to be determined
amount?

i.e.
yea i got the first year for you for free.
ohh you still have that?
Bam! $300 an install, k thanks bye.

If this were the Office pack(you know the stuff everyone needs) I would
not be as concerned about this possibility(cause we all need it, so we
all already have it).

However the Adobe suite is the kind of thing that i think fewer people
need then don't.

It's the kind of software that everyone in my dept.(faculty+staff) would
love to have for free, but no one here really has a compelling business
need for. So the department is not footing the bill for the whole Adobe
suite.

If the set up is to get it installed now for "free" and then bill
departments or the school for the counted installs after the free time
period we could be in a bad situation come next year.

I guess i just never trust an email that opens up with an offer of
something for free that will have a yet to be determined cost at a later
time.
That just sounds like the premise of a scam spam to me.

On 8/22/2011 2:13 PM, Ian Crew wrote:

> [...]
>> Department IST Security Officer
>> Department Equipment Custodian
>> CalNet Deputy

> Ian Crew
> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
> Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
> University of California, Berkeley
> 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
> http://hub.berkeley.edu

Aaron DuBois
Sociology Tech
489 Barrows Hall
Mon-Thur 10:30am-5:00pm
Fri 8:30-am-3pm
510-643-9389
Department Web Master
Department IST Security Officer
Department Equipment Custodian
CalNet Deputy

Re: [Micronet] reading OE proposals: Productivity Services Suite: Software as a Service - Hosted and Local

Sharon K. Goetz
Fair, Johnathon--but Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat are a far cry
from the Master Collection's full list, and Master is what Shel Waggener's
e-mail said fac/staff would get.
(http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection.html)
Acrobat Pro by itself is inexpensive on educational discount, compared to
any of the Adobe suites.

Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and InDesign are all that my immediate
colleagues would need/use; we create books and digital editions as well as
submit grant applications. (Indeed, for our grant apps it's WordPerfect
--> PDF, but we do use Acrobat Pro occasionally for other things.) If the
campus arrangement for FY2011-12 is on a subscription model, it seems
cheaper for our small unit to buy a few non-subscription licenses for
2012-, because the only Adobe app we use in all seats is Photoshop. +1 to
the request for transparency specifically re: the long arm of costing,
therefore.

Cheers,
Sharon
(back to lurking)

--
Digital Publications Manager, Mark Twain Papers & Project
http://www.marktwainproject.org/ http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/MTP/