chromebook and AirBears2

mhulihan
Does anyone know why I can not  join AirBears2 with a Chromebook?

Re: [Micronet] chromebook and AirBears2

Burke Bundy-2
I have an open ticket with CSS IT about problems this morning authenticating with the "eduroam" WiFi network.  I have also tested an OS X system and it cannot authenticate with the "AirBears2" WiFi network either.

Burke

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM, mhulihan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone know why I can not  join AirBears2 with a Chromebook?

Burke Bundy
Systems Administrator
Biostatistics
University of California, Berkeley
114 Haviland Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-7358
Phone (510) 642-5755
Fax (510) 643-5163

Re: [Micronet] chromebook and AirBears2

John McChesney-Young
I had a user a few days ago whose MacBook Air I was able to get onto
AirBears2 successfully - he'd been out of the country since before
AirBears was retired - but I couldn't get it to work with eduroam: it
kept doing the barber pole WiFi searching thing. I put in a ticket
with ITCSS but as of mid-day yesterday he hadn't heard back - I know
they're slammed with beginning-of-the-year tickets. Then this morning
another user's MBP kept going into WiFi search mode for AirBears2 -
this roughly ten feet from the access point. Fortunately it seemed to
have settled down but it's unfortunate that the connections seem to be
more unstable or unreliable than in the past.

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] chromebook and AirBears2

Sean McMahon
This information is from our CSSIT wiki :

Use the following settings for connecting a Google Chromebook to the campus Airbears2 wireless network.

EAP Method: PEAP

Phase 2 authentication : MSCHAPv2

Server CA Certificate : Default or None

Identity : CalNet [hidden email]

Password : AirBears2 Key

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM, John McChesney-Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had a user a few days ago whose MacBook Air I was able to get onto
AirBears2 successfully - he'd been out of the country since before
AirBears was retired - but I couldn't get it to work with eduroam: it
kept doing the barber pole WiFi searching thing. I put in a ticket
with ITCSS but as of mid-day yesterday he hadn't heard back - I know
they're slammed with beginning-of-the-year tickets. Then this morning
another user's MBP kept going into WiFi search mode for AirBears2 -
this roughly ten feet from the access point. Fortunately it seemed to
have settled down but it's unfortunate that the connections seem to be
more unstable or unreliable than in the past.

John

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Burke Bundy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have an open ticket with CSS IT about problems this morning authenticating
> with the "eduroam" WiFi network.  I have also tested an OS X system and it
> cannot authenticate with the "AirBears2" WiFi network either.
>
> Burke
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM, mhulihan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know why I can not  join AirBears2 with a Chromebook?...

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice <a href="tel:1-510-642-5511" value="+15106425511">1-510-642-5511 // fax <a href="tel:1-510-643-2185" value="+15106432185">1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] chromebook and AirBears2

Sean McMahon
Here is the screenshot :

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Sean McMahon <[hidden email]> wrote:
This information is from our CSSIT wiki :

Use the following settings for connecting a Google Chromebook to the campus Airbears2 wireless network.

EAP Method: PEAP

Phase 2 authentication : MSCHAPv2

Server CA Certificate : Default or None

Identity : CalNet [hidden email]

Password : AirBears2 Key

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM, John McChesney-Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had a user a few days ago whose MacBook Air I was able to get onto
AirBears2 successfully - he'd been out of the country since before
AirBears was retired - but I couldn't get it to work with eduroam: it
kept doing the barber pole WiFi searching thing. I put in a ticket
with ITCSS but as of mid-day yesterday he hadn't heard back - I know
they're slammed with beginning-of-the-year tickets. Then this morning
another user's MBP kept going into WiFi search mode for AirBears2 -
this roughly ten feet from the access point. Fortunately it seemed to
have settled down but it's unfortunate that the connections seem to be
more unstable or unreliable than in the past.

John

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Burke Bundy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have an open ticket with CSS IT about problems this morning authenticating
> with the "eduroam" WiFi network.  I have also tested an OS X system and it
> cannot authenticate with the "AirBears2" WiFi network either.
>
> Burke
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM, mhulihan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know why I can not  join AirBears2 with a Chromebook?...

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice <a href="tel:1-510-642-5511" value="+15106425511" target="_blank">1-510-642-5511 // fax <a href="tel:1-510-643-2185" value="+15106432185" target="_blank">1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] chromebook and AirBears2

John Fuhs-Sooter
Hello Micronet,
     Computers running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or 10.10 (Yosemite) should have no problems connecting to AirBears2 or eduroam. Please report any difficulties you encounter to your local IT or to CSS IT, whichever is appropriate.
     Computers running OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or earlier may have issues connecting. In this case, please upgrade to 10.10 before seeking other remedies. Your local IT or CSS IT (whichever is appropriate) can assist you in doing this.
     Computers running OS X 10.11 beta (we at CSS IT have actually had calls about this) WILL NOT be able to connect to either one. We recommend either ethernet cabling the computer (if you just HAVE to use the beta) or to downgrade to 10.10 (preferred option).

John Fuhs-Sooter
University of California, Berkeley
Campus Shared Services IT

To submit a request, please go to
or call 664-9000, option 1

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM, John McChesney-Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had a user a few days ago whose MacBook Air I was able to get onto
AirBears2 successfully - he'd been out of the country since before
AirBears was retired - but I couldn't get it to work with eduroam: it
kept doing the barber pole WiFi searching thing. I put in a ticket
with ITCSS but as of mid-day yesterday he hadn't heard back - I know
they're slammed with beginning-of-the-year tickets. Then this morning
another user's MBP kept going into WiFi search mode for AirBears2 -
this roughly ten feet from the access point. Fortunately it seemed to
have settled down but it's unfortunate that the connections seem to be
more unstable or unreliable than in the past.

John

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Burke Bundy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have an open ticket with CSS IT about problems this morning authenticating
> with the "eduroam" WiFi network.  I have also tested an OS X system and it
> cannot authenticate with the "AirBears2" WiFi network either.
>
> Burke
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM, mhulihan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know why I can not  join AirBears2 with a Chromebook?...

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] chromebook and AirBears2

Isaac Orr
John,

Thanks for sending this out.  I'd add that the beta of iOS 9 has a similar issue.

We're aware of this, and think we understand the reason for the problem.  We're building and testing the solution, and definitely intend to deploy it before iOS 9/OS X 10.11 are officially released.

iso

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM, John Fuhs-Sooter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Micronet,
     Computers running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or 10.10 (Yosemite) should have no problems connecting to AirBears2 or eduroam. Please report any difficulties you encounter to your local IT or to CSS IT, whichever is appropriate.
     Computers running OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or earlier may have issues connecting. In this case, please upgrade to 10.10 before seeking other remedies. Your local IT or CSS IT (whichever is appropriate) can assist you in doing this.
     Computers running OS X 10.11 beta (we at CSS IT have actually had calls about this) WILL NOT be able to connect to either one. We recommend either ethernet cabling the computer (if you just HAVE to use the beta) or to downgrade to 10.10 (preferred option).

John Fuhs-Sooter
University of California, Berkeley
Campus Shared Services IT

To submit a request, please go to
or call 664-9000, option 1

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM, John McChesney-Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had a user a few days ago whose MacBook Air I was able to get onto
AirBears2 successfully - he'd been out of the country since before
AirBears was retired - but I couldn't get it to work with eduroam: it
kept doing the barber pole WiFi searching thing. I put in a ticket
with ITCSS but as of mid-day yesterday he hadn't heard back - I know
they're slammed with beginning-of-the-year tickets. Then this morning
another user's MBP kept going into WiFi search mode for AirBears2 -
this roughly ten feet from the access point. Fortunately it seemed to
have settled down but it's unfortunate that the connections seem to be
more unstable or unreliable than in the past.

John

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Burke Bundy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have an open ticket with CSS IT about problems this morning authenticating
> with the "eduroam" WiFi network.  I have also tested an OS X system and it
> cannot authenticate with the "AirBears2" WiFi network either.
>
> Burke
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM, mhulihan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know why I can not  join AirBears2 with a Chromebook?...

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice <a href="tel:1-510-642-5511" value="+15106425511" target="_blank">1-510-642-5511 // fax <a href="tel:1-510-643-2185" value="+15106432185" target="_blank">1-510-643-2185

Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]